EcoTravel’s Sumatra Holiday XL
The Best Of Northern Sumatra In Just Two Weeks (14-Day Tour)
Sumatra Holiday XL – is a real innovation combining well selected sustainable day trips and some of the most spectacular spots in Sumatra in just two weeks! This EcoTravel package blends the adventures of orangutan trekking in Gunung Leuser National Park with a visit to thefamous elephants in Tangkahan. Then you will experience traditional Batak culture in the Karo Highlands and hike up to Sibayak volcano in Berastagi at sunrise. On Lake Toba a discovery tour will take EcoTravel guests to the unspoilt areas of Samosir Island with many indigenous plants and with a lot to find out on coffee growing. This unique Sumatra holiday is rounded off on Pulau Weh Island with a relaxing stay on a quiet beach.
- DAY 01: Your Sumatra holiday starts with air-con transfer (car or minibus) from your Medan hotel (3 hours) or from Kuala Namu Airport (4 hours) to Bukit Lawang: including driver, petrol & porter service for your luggage. Check in to your hotel in Bukit Lawang: EcoTravel Cottages, Jungle View Room, bathroom with western toilet and hot water shower, fan, minibar, safe locker, tea and coffee making facilities, balcony with jungle/river view, complementary items, WI-FI, breakfast. After arrival: take a rest, relax and recover from your journey to Bukit Lawang. Later, take part in our special “Meet & Relax Happy Hour” starting at 16:00 pm. Meet other EcoTravel guests before our team will answer all your questions. This social gathering is a good warm up for the tour starting the next day and not to be missed!
- DAY 02: “Tangkahan Adventure” (1-day tour): Memorable tour by air-con car (2 hours / one way / off-road) to the hidden jungle village of Tangkahan, famous for its Sumatran elephants: includes certified English speaking guide, driver, petrol, all permits, lunch and soft drink, voucher for washing Sumatran elephants in the Buluh River (up to 1 hour / note: an unlimited number of other travellers will participate in this activity!) operated by CRU/LPT Tangkahan, Mahout (CRU/LPT). Starts at 09:00 am. Stay another night in Bukit Lawang: EcoTravel Cottages, Jungle View Room, bathroom with western toilet and hot water shower, fan, minibar, safe locker, tea and coffee making facilities, balcony with jungle/river view, complementary items, WI-FI, breakfast
- DAY 03/04: “Orangutan Trek” (2-day tour): Memorable 2-day trek in the Gunung Leuser National Park, 1 night on a campsite in the jungle & traditional tube rafting down the Bohorok River back to Bukit Lawang after trekking: includes certified English speaking guides, porter, rafting skipper, cook, all food and drinking water while trekking, all equipment (tent, mattress, sleeping bag, mosquito net, tubes, safety jackets), luggage storage. Starts at 08:30 am. Having returned from your trekking adventure feel free to spend the afternoon at your pace: relax in your hammock, enjoy panoramic views of the rainforest from your balcony and watch stunning wildlife from the sun patio of EcoTravel Cottages. Take a refreshing bath in the Bohorok River or explore the village on your own. Stay another night in Bukit Lawang: EcoTravel Cottages, Jungle View Room, bathroom with western toilet and hot water shower, fan, minibar, safe locker, tea and coffee making facilities, balcony with jungle/river view, complementary items, WI-FI, breakfast
- DAY 05: Air-con transfer (car or minibus) from Bukit Lawang to Berastagi in the Karo Highlands, the centre of the batak-karonese culture (3-hours) & visit to the famous colourful fruit market of Berastagi: includes porter, driver, petrol, drinking water, fruits. Starts at 09:00 am. Afternoon check in at your accommodation in Berastagi: Nachelle Homestay, Double Room with volcano view, bathroom with western toilet and hot water shower, fan (note: Wi-Fi only available in the public living area!). Spend the afternoon exploring the town of Berastagi on your own: Why not try and get around the traditional way with a leisurely ride in a „Sado“ (horse carriage) or visit Gundaling Hill. Our partner Nachelle Homestay will be happy to organize an additional tour or even a cooking class, if required.
- DAY 06: “Sunrise Volcano Tour“ (1/2 day tour): Sunrise hike up on Sibayak volcano with panoramic views, followed by a relaxing stop at hotsprings (operated by our partner Nachelle Homestay). Starts at 04:30 am (note: you have to get up pretty early!), ends at 10:30 am: includes English speaking guide, transport to/from the volcano, all entrance fees, take-away breakfast. Our EcoTravel overland transfer service will pick you up at 12:30 pm to continue your Karo Highlands adventure with the famous Lake Toba. Stops en route at a traditional Batak Karo village and at the Sipiso-Piso waterfall: includes driver, petrol, all entrance fees on the way, drinks, boat tickets (one way!) from Parapat harbour to Samosir Island. Check in to your hotel on Samosir Island: Tabo Cottages, Junior Suite, bathroom with western toilet and hot water shower, air-con, minibar, tea and coffee making facilities, balcony with garden/lake view, complimentary items, WI-FI, breakfast
- DAY 07: Half-time of your Sumatra holiday: spend your day winding down on Samosir Island swimming, relaxing and just enjoying the beautiful scenery. Or why not try and explore the island? Don’t miss a traditional Batak dance at the cultural centre in Simanindo and the historic Batak king’s residence at Ambarita. Our partner Tabo Cottages will love to organize tours around Lake Toba, if required. You could also rent a motorbike and travel around by yourself. Stay another night on Samosir Island: Tabo Cottages, Junior Suite, bathroom with western toilet and hot water shower, air-con, minibar, tea and coffee making facilities, balcony with garden/lake view, complimentary items, WI-FI, breakfast
- DAY 08: “Toba Discovery Tour” (1/2-day tour): This off-road adventure will give you a memorable experience of the island’s unspoilt parts, offering great highland views over Lake Toba. You will discover the simple local lifestyle in a traditional Toba Batak village. And you will return with impressions of unique Batak architecture, knowledge on coffee growing and vistas of indigenous plants: includes English speaking guide, driver, car, lunch picnic. Starts at 10:00 am. Stay another night on Samosir Island: Tabo Cottages, Junior Suite, bathroom with western toilet and hot water shower, air-con, minibar, tea and coffee making facilities, balcony with garden/lake view, complimentary items, WI-FI, breakfast
- DAY 09: Pickup at Parapat harbour and transport by air-con taxi back to Medan (4 hours): including driver, petrol & highway toll. Starts at 11:00 am. After arrival in Medan check in to your hotel: Hotel Deli River, Deluxe Room, bathroom with western toilet and hot water shower, air-con, tea and coffee making, balcony with garden view, complementary items, WI-FI, breakfast. Spend the afternoon relaxing at the swimming pool, enjoy the beautiful scenery and the comfort of your accommodation. Our partner Deli River will be happy to organize an additional short sightseeing tour in Medan, if required. Note: you have to get up pretty early the next morning!
- DAY 10: Part one of your Sumatra holiday ends in the province of North Sumatra with air-con transfer from Hotel Deli River to Kuala Namu Airport (1 hour): including driver & petrol. Starts at 06:00 am (flight departure 08:30 am, Lion Air JT210)
- DAY 10: Your Sumatra holiday continues in Aceh province with a pickup from Sultan Iskandar Muda Airport Airport at at 09:35 am, air-con transfer to Banda Aceh’s Ulee Lheue ferry port (30 min), boat tickets (VIP) for the car ferry (starts at 11:00 am / 100 – 120 min) to Pulau Weh and transport by local taxi Freddies Ecoresort (30 min): including driver & petrol. Check in to your hotel: Freddies Santai Sumur Tiga, Deluxe Appartement right on the beach, fan, bathroom with western toilet and hot water shower, balcony with sea view, WI-FI, breakfast
- DAY 11 – 13: Spend 3 leisurely days on Pulau Weh swimming, snorkeling, diving or why not try and explore the island? Our partner Freddie will love to organize tours for you. You can also rent a motorbike and travel around by yourself. Don’t miss a visit to the Iboih Coral Garden and to Kilometer Zero, the northernmost point of the Indonesian archipelago. Stay four more nights on Pulau Weh: Stay three more nights on Pulau Weh: Freddies Santai Sumur Tiga, Deluxe Appartement right on the beach, fan, bathroom with western toilet and hot water shower, balcony with sea view, WI-FI, breakfast
- DAY 14: Your Sumatra holiday XL package will come to a closure with the transfer by local taxi from Freddies Ecoresort to Sabang’s Balohan ferry port (30 min), boat tickets for the fast ferry (starts at 14:30 am / 60 min) to Banda Aceh’s Ulee Lheue ferry port and air-con transfer to Banda Aceh Sultan Iskandar Muda Airport (30 min): including driver & petrol. Starts at 13:30 am (domestic flight departure Not before 17:30 am / international flight departure Not before 18:00 pm!). Note: If you really have to catch an earlier flight: there is a fats ferry departing at 8:00 am and a car ferry at 10:30 am. In this case please make sure that your flight departure from Banda Aceh Sultan Iskandar Muda Airport is after 11:00 am! Information for your onward journey: Direct flights from Banda Aceh Airport to Medan, Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Jakarta / no direct flights to Bangkok or Singapore!
|Price Per Person|
(minimum 2 pax)
(October - June)
(July - September)
|Superior Option||829 EUR||889 EUR|
|Standard Option||759 EUR||829 EUR|
EcoTravel packages are offered in different prices ranges – deluxe, superior, standard, budget and basic budget. What exactly are the differences between these categories?
In order to meet the different needs of our lovely guests, EcoTravel’ Sumatra Tours come in different price categories. The options “budget” and “basic budget” include the lowest room category without views and do not include transfers to/from Medan. If you prefer a better room type but do not require transfers you can book any of the above packages (deluxe, superior, standard), but without transportation. The Superior Package with room type Jungle View Room at EcoTravel Cottages in Bukit Lawang is always listed in detail on our website. At our partner Tabo Cottages at Lake Toba, our EcoTravel guests will stay in a Junior Suite with air-con. The higher price of the Deluxe Option results from the best room option in Bukit Lawang (Jungle View Suite / EcoTravel Cottages) and our choice at Lake Toba (Toba Suite with fan / Tabo Cottages). Rooms chosen for our Standard Option are smaller and in a lower price range. Guests will stay right next to our EcoTravel Cottages in our new accommodation “Hangout@EcoTravel” (Orangutan Room/Jungle View Room). At Lake Toba you will stay in Tabo Cottages’ Batak Villa (fan). Note: In contrast to a variety of room types and rates in Bukit Lawang and at Lake Toba, there is only one room type chosen to accommodate EcoTravel guests at our partners in Medan, Berastagi and on Pulau Weh (Deli River Hotel/Deluxe Room, Nachelle Homestay/Volcano View Room, Freddies Santai Sumur Tiga/Seaview Beach Appartement). However, in cooperation with all our accommodation partners we are giving our best to present you with the best value for money.
Your website lists fixed starting dates for your packages. We arrive in Medan one day earlier, could we shift the start of our tour?
To keep up our good service we run all our tours and jungle treks in Bukit Lawang on fixed days suiting our well selected Sumatra touring packages. Arrival/departure in Bukit Lawang is usually on Fridays/Saturdays/Mondays. Some Sumatra tours also start on Tuesdays or Thursdays . However, we can tailor each package to match your specific requirements! It is possible to add some nights before or after a package. You are also welcome to skip, change or add some tours in Bukit Lawang and/or extend your stay with our partners on Lake Toba, in Medan or on Pulau Weh. We will do our best to suit your needs – subject to availability! And if all this still doesn’t match your travel plans, why not join our jungle trekking tours only and book accommodation and transport individually somewhere else?
From Medan to Bukit Lawang? What’s the latest we should arrive in the jungle on the day before our trek will start? What is your Sumatra travel advice?
We really recommend arriving in Bukit Lawang no later than 18:00 pm! Between 16:00 pm and 19:00 pm there will be a meeting with your guide team in our EcoTravel Cottages where you will receive important information and an introduction to your trek starting the following morning. During our special “Meet & Relax Happy Hour” you will meet other EcoTravel guests and our team will answer all your questions. This social gathering, a nice warm up for the next day, is not to be missed! However, if no earlier flights to Sumatra are available and a late afternoon pick-up service with our EcoTravel team from Medan Airport to Bukit Lawang is required, we will be happy to organise this exclusively for you. Just remember that the transfer from Medan Airport to Bukit Lawang takes about 4 hours, so the later you arrive, the later you will arrive in Bukit Lawang. On arrival you will need to walk from the taxi stop to the EcoTravel Cottages for about 25 minutes – and if your jungle trek starts the next day you will need to get up early. If you arrive late you may also have problems with dinner, as most restaurants in Bukit Lawang close at 21:00 pm. However, if there is no other option than arriving late at Kuala Namu Airport in Medan, we would actually advise you to simply arrive a day earlier – and why not stay in an airport hotel before you start your jungle adventure? Our transfer service could arrange a relaxed pick up service from your hotel in Medan the next morning – and you could profit from another half day the jungle of Sumatra. Relax, swim, join an additional half day tour or simply discover this beautiful jungle village on your own. This is our very own Sumatra travel guide for EcoTravel guests – to help you all having an unforgettable time in the Sumatran jungle!