Our Selection For EcoTravel Guests
In Bukit Lawang you shouldn’t expect a Bali standard! In the Sumatran jungle air-con rooms with hot showers are not common. But in a perfect blend of comfort and budget, our EcoTravel team offers a variety of rooms to meet different needs at EcoTravel Cottages & The Hangout. All rooms are cleaned on a daily basis, offer private bathrooms with hot water shower, tea and coffee making facilities, complimentary items, Wi-Fi, mosquito nets, fan, safety boxes and – except for the budget rooms – mini-bar and big balconies with frontal jungle views. And if our own accommodation should be fully booked already, our choice of guesthouses and room types in the jungle is a good selection of options for your stay: clean and with reliable service, in natural surroundings, run by proprietors with a sense of sustainability or managed by local families worth supporting. Additionally, basic standard with friendly local service is provided by our homestay partner in Simpang Mursal Timpangjaya. You will find even higher and more comfortable standards at our homestay partner Nachelle Homestay in Berastagi. And a good standard can be expected from our partners Hotel Deli River, Tabo Cottages and Freddies Santai Sumur Tiga – our recommended places to stay in Medan, Samosir island and on Pulau Weh Island. Our partner hotels in Bukit Lawang, Medan, Berastagi, Lake Toba and Pulau Weh can only be booked in combination with one of popular Sumatra Tours.
Hotel Deli River: The Hotel Deli River is a hotel run by a friendly Dutch-Indonesian family just 12 kilometers outside the historical city of Medan and 1 hour away from the airport. The Hotel is located in a lush tropical garden area that overlooks the banks of the ancient meandering Deli River. This peaceful place adds a personal touch to service and atmosphere: Two spacious cottages with a total of 8 air conditioned rooms with balcony/patio and private bathroom, including breakfast for 2 pax, free wifi & pickup service from the airport (starts from 20 Euro/one way). The hotel-restaurant “Omlandia” is situated opposite the cottages and offers delicious food. The swimming pool built on the edge of the valley overlooking Deli River creates the right atmosphere to relax from everyday stress. A variety of city tours through historic Medan can be booked in advance if required. The Hotel Deli River is owned and operated by Dirk A. Buiskool and Diana Pardamean who have been providing tour-guide and hospitality services to international guests since 1990.
Price per room/night: 60 – 120 Euro (double/family/honeymoon)
Nachelle Homestay is run by a lovely local family: Mery & Abdy with their children Nachelle, Charlotte and Nathan. Offering a handful of clean, fan-equipped rooms with western bathrooms and hot water shower – some of them with fantastic views of the Sinabung volcano – the homestay is just a 15-minute walk from the centre of Berastagi. Room rates include breakfast for EcoTravel guests. If required, an optional dinner can be pre-ordered directly with the homestay owners on arrival. But there is also a choice of local dining available within walking distance. Please note: The rooms have no air condition & free internet access is provided only in the public living area! By taxi transfer, Nachelle Homestay is about 3 hours away from Medan and 4 hours from Lake Toba. A variety of tours around Berastagi, transfers or even traditional cooking classes can be arranged through the accommodation owners.
Price per room/night: 26 – 55 Euro (double/family)
Tabo Cottages: Tabo Cottages is situated on the shore of Lake Toba at Samosir surrounded by rice fields and plantations. The unique style of the restaurant and the rooms in the tropical garden make a great atmosphere to get rid of stress. Tabo’s latest rooms are situated right by the lake overlooking the spacious lawn, the play ground and the picturesque mountains. The Hotel is owned and professional operated by a German-Indonesian family. All rooms are clean and with attached bathrooms (hot shower), balcony/patio with garden/lake view. A variety of island tours can get booked at the reception, free wifi is available in the laid back restaurant. All rooms are including a delicious breakfast buffet. Note: Rooms are not airconditioned! During peak season and public holidays all rates are subject to an increase!
- Deluxe Room (2 persons): Standard rooms / Deluxe rooms are functional rooms with king size beds or single beds, some have a half open jungle bath room with hot shower. They are equipped with a fan and are situated behind the restaurant without lake view.
- Batak Villa (2 – 4 persons): Antique Batak houses are rebuilt to good accommodation with a comfortable wooden flair. King size beds and bathtub. They are situated a bit behind and have a fan and a private veranda with garden/lake or restaurant view
- Junior Suite (2 – 3 persons): Luxury rooms located right by the garden with a great lake view. Tee and coffee making facilities. The sofa bed makes it suitable for small families or for three persons.
- Toba Suite (2): The Toba suite is built from parts of old traditonal Batak houses equipped with luxury facilities like coffee and tea making facilities, mini bar, fan, king size bed and the bigger units have a french size futon on the loft. The Toba suite is perfect for honey mooners and small families and can be connected via the veranda to a 3 bedroom unit (2 rooms connecting).
Price per room/night: 44 – 120 Euro (double/family/honeymoon)
Freddies Santai Sumur Tiga: Freddies Santai Sumurtiga is situated on small sand beach in the northeastern part of Sabang / Pulau Weh! The friendly owner Freddie offers 9 clean standard beach bungalows, 3 new deluxe beach bungalows and 3 family rooms on the 3rd level of the main buidling, each with en-suite bathroom (hot water) and balcony with seaview and fitted hammock. All rooms are equiped with a fridge, roof or standing fans, a free coffee and tea station, water dispenser and a safety box. Note: Rooms are not air conditioned! Freddies unique ecoresort is constructed totally with natural materials and is renowend for its cuisine: The delicious ala carte and buffet restaurants with inside and outside dining areas guarantee an unforgettable stay. A variety of tours can be arranged, snorkeling mask and motorbikes to rent, diving can get organized, free wifi is available through out the resort. The beach in front of the resort is a recognised international area where guests of the resort are welcome to use bikinis and western style swim wear. Room rates are including a delicious breakfast menu.
Price per room/night: 40 – 60 Euro (double/family)
1. Ecolodge: Rooms of our partner Ecolodge Bukit Lawang provide a comfortable residence. The spacious balconies, terraces and the open layout of the site invite to relax after the “stresses” of a jungle trek. The private setting of the rooms guarantees an unforgettable stay in Bukit Lawang. All rooms are lovingly furnished and the interior’s inspired by the natural surroundings. All rooms are equipped with a private bathroom (cold shower) and are including breakfast for 2 pax (coffee, tea, juice, toast, fruits, eggs or pancake). Note: Rooms are not air-conditioned! Safe deposit boxes are available at the reception. Delicious restaurant, professional Service!
- New Butterfly Room (1-2 pax): Modern double rooms with western bathroom, facing the river, located near the restaurant, balcony/terrace with garden/river view, breakfast.
- Orang-Utan Room (2 – 3 pax): Clean lodges lovely furnished with bamboo, open-air shower, terrace with garden/river view, breakfast.
- Thomas Leaf Monkey Room (2 pax): 8 rooms with bamboo furniture, open bathroom with a tropical garden and traditional indonesian shower, balcony with garden/river view, breakfast.
Price per room/night: 34 – 44 Euro (double/triple)