Sumatra Highlights (7-Day Tour)
All the highlights of Northern Sumatra in just one week! This unique EcoTravel package combines a memorable overnight trek in the Gunung Leuser National Park with tube-rafting on the Bohorok River and a visit at the famous Bat Cave in Bukit Lawang with the experience of traditional Batak culture at Lake Toba, the world’s greatest crater lake. En route you will stop at beautiful spots in the Karo Highlands – among them are the fruit market in Berastagi, a traditional Batak Karo village and the water falls of Sipiso-Piso.
- DAY 01: Air-con transfer (car or minibus) from your Medan hotel (3 hours) or from Kuala Namu Airport (5 hours) to Bukit Lawang: including driver, petrol & porter service for your luggage. Check in to your hotel in Bukit Lawang: EcoTravel Cottages, Jungle View Room, bathroom with western toilet and hot water shower, fan, minibar, balcony with jungle/river view, breakfast
- DAY 02/03: “Orangutan Trek” (2-day tour): 2-day trek in the Gunung Leuser National Park, 1 night on a campsite in the jungle, stop at the old orangutan feeding platform area & traditional tube rafting down the Bohorok River back to Bukit Lawang after trekking: includes English speaking guides, porter, rafting skipper, cook, all food and drinking water while trekking, all equipment (tent, mattress, sleeping bag, mosquito net, tubes, safety jackets), luggage storage. Starts at 08:30 am. After trekking stay another night in Bukit Lawang: EcoTravel Cottages, Jungle View Room, bathroom with western toilet and hot water shower, fan, minibar, balcony with jungle/river view, breakfast
- DAY 04: “Bat Cave Walk” (3-hours tour): Walk to the famous Bat Cave in Bukit Lawang & explore this impressive cave system: includes English speaking guide, entrance fee, lunch picnic, fruits, drinking water. Starts at 09:00 am. Stay another night in Bukit Lawang: EcoTravel Cottages, Jungle View Room, bathroom with western toilet and hot water shower, fan, minibar, balcony with jungle/river view, breakfast
- DAY 05: Air-con transfer (car or minibus) from Bukit Lawang to Lake Toba (1-day tour / 8 hours): Along the way you stop at several places in the Karo Highlands: the famous fruit market in Berastagi, a traditional Batak Karo village and the Sipiso-Piso waterfall: includes driver, petrol, all entrance fees on the way, take-away snacks & drinks, boat tickets (one way!) from Parapat harbour to Samosir Island. Starts at 07:00 am. Check in to your hotel on Samosir Island: Tabo Cottages, Junior Suite, bathroom with western toilet and hot water shower, fan, balcony with lake view, breakfast
- DAY 06: Spend your day winding down on Samosir Island swimming, relaxing and just enjoying the beautiful scenery or why not try and explore the island? Don’t miss a traditional Batak dance at the cultural center in Simanindo and the historic Batak king’s residence at Ambarita. Our partner Tabo Cottages will love to organize tours around Lake Toba, if required. You can also rent a motorbike and travel around by yourself. Stay one more night on Samosir Island: Tabo Cottages, Junior Suite, bathroom with western toilet and hot water shower, fan, balcony with garden/lake view, breakfast
- DAY 07: Air-con transfer from Parapat harbour to your Medan hotel (5 hours) or Kuala Namu Airport (5 hours): including driver, petrol & highway toll. Starts at 13:30 pm (flight departure not before 20:00 pm!)
|Price Per Person|
(minimum 2 pax)
(October - June)
(July - September)
|Superior Option||315 EUR||330 EUR|
|Deluxe Option||350 EUR||365 EUR|
|Standard Option||298 EUR||310 EUR|
|Budget Option||220 EUR||228 EUR|
In order to meet the different needs of our lovely guests, EcoTravel packages are offered in different price categories. The Superior Package with room type Jungle View Room at EcoTravel Cottages is always listed in detail on our website. The higher price of the Deluxe Option results from the best room option in Bukit Lawang (Jungle View Suite / EcoTravel Cottages) and Lake Toba (Toba Suite / Tabo Cottages). Rooms chosen for our Standard Option are smaller and in a lower price range. Guests will stay right next to our EcoTravel Cottages in our new accommodation “Hangout@EcoTravel” (open from March 2020!) or at our partner accommodation Ecolodge Bukit Lawang (Orangutan Room/New Butterfly Room). At Lake Toba you will stay in Tabo Cottages’ Batak Villa. The options “budget” and “basic budget” include the lowest room categories in the jungle and at Lake Toba (Batak Room, EcoTravel Cottages / Budget Room, Hangout@EcoTravel and Deluxe Room, Tabo Cottages). Our budget packages do not include transfers to/from Medan. But our budget option offers a cozy room with western bathroom and balcony with side views to the jungle (Batak Room/EcoTravel Cottages). Our least expensive room type (Budget Room/Hangout@EcoTravel) does not have a balcony nor any jungle views, but EcoTravel guests can enjoy a clean room with western bathroom and hot water shower. Guests who prefer a better room type but do not require transfers can book any of the above packages without transportation.
Unfortunately this is not possible. We run our tours on fixed days, arrival/departure at EcoTravel Cottages is on Mondays/Fridays only, suiting our packages. Some packages also start on Saturdays. But you could add, skip or change some tours in your chosen package frame, if required. It is also possible to extend your stay at our partners on Lake Toba, in Medan or on Pulau Weh – subject to availability. And if all this still doesn’t suit you, why not join our tours only and book your accommodation individually somewhere else?
We recommend not to arrive any later than 18:00 pm in Bukit Lawang! There is also a meeting with your guide team at our EcoTravel Cottages between 16:00 pm – 19:00 pm, where you will be given essential information and an introduction to your trek starting the next morning. But if a pickup service with our EcoTravel team from Medan airport to the jungle is required in the late afternoon we are also pleased to organize this for you. Please just remember that from Medan Airport, the transfer to Bukit Lawang takes about 4,5 hrs, so the later you arrive the later you will get to Bukit Lawang. And if your jungle trek starts the next day you will have to get up early …