Jungle Fun & Local Life (5-Day Tour)
Support the ecosystem in Gunung Leuser National Park, help its wildlife and local people while enjoying your holiday! This unique EcoTravel tour is a real innovation combining some of the most spectacular spots in Northern Sumatra with direct support for the environment. You will do some jungle trekking, meet orangutans and explore local life. You also have the chance to see Lake Toba, the world’s largest crater lake. Your visits to traditional villages en route will be a direct contribution to the income of the locals.
- DAY 01: Air-con transfer (car or minibus) from your Medan hotel (3 hours) or from Kuala Namu Airport (5 hours) to Bukit Lawang: including driver, petrol & porter service for your luggage. Check in to your hotel in Bukit Lawang: EcoTravel Cottages, Jungle View Room, bathroom with western toilet and hot water shower, fan, minibar, balcony with jungle/river view, breakfast
- DAY 02/03: “Orangutan Trek” (2-day tour): 2-day trek in the Gunung Leuser National Park, 1 night on a campsite in the jungle, stop at the old orangutan feeding platform area & traditional tube rafting down the Bohorok River back to Bukit Lawang after trekking: includes English speaking guide, porter, rafting skipper, cook, all food and drinking water while trekking, all equipment (tent, mattress, sleeping bag, mosquito net, tubes, safety jackets), luggage storage. Starts at 08:30 am. After trekking stay another night in Bukit Lawang: EcoTravel Cottages, Jungle View Room, bathroom with western toilet and hot water shower, fan, minibar, balcony with jungle/river view, breakfast
- DAY 04: “Explore Local Life” (1/2-day tour): Unique tour by mountain bike (or by traditional Tuk-Tuk) along rice fields, rubber plantations and through the villages surrounding Bukit Lawang to Kampung Bukit where you stop at traditional sugar, tofu and bamboo/palm leaves weaving „manufacturers”. Then you will travel on to Simpang Mursal Timbangjaya having a typical local lunch with the villagers: includes English speaking guide, mountain bike & equipment (or becak, driver & petrol), lunch, drinking water, donation to the villagers. Starts at 09:00 am. Stay another night in Bukit Lawang: EcoTravel Cottages, Jungle View Room, bathroom, fan, minibar, balcony with jungle/river view, breakfast
- DAY 05: Air-con transfer (car or minibus) from Bukit Lawang back to Medan hotel (3 hours) or Kuala Namu Airport (5 hours): including porter service for your luggage, driver & petrol
|Price per person / min 2 pax.|
|Superior Option||219 Euro|
|Deluxe Option||239 Euro|
|Standard Option||206 Euro|
|Budget Option||151 Euro|
We are also happy to arrange a shortened package with our 1-day trek "Welcome To The Jungle" starting on Fridays & ending on Mondays - a great experience for everybody who doesn't feel like trekking in the jungle overnight!
In order to meet the different needs of our lovely guests, EcoTravel packages are offered in four different price categories. The Superior Package with room type Jungle View Room at EcoTravel Cottages is always listed in detail on our website. The higher price of the Deluxe Option results from the best room option in Bukit Lawang (Jungle View Suite / EcoTravel Cottages) and Lake Toba (Toba Suite / Tabo Cottages). Rooms chosen for our Standard Option are smaller and in a lower price range. Guests will stay right next to our EcoTravel Cottages in our new accommodation “Hangout@EcoTravel” (open from January 2020!) or at our partner accommodation Ecolodge Bukit Lawang (Orangutan Room/New Butterfly Room). At Lake Toba you will stay in Tabo Cottages’ Batak Villa. The budget option includes the lowest room category in the jungle and at Lake Toba (Batak Room, EcoTravel Cottages / Deluxe Room, Tabo Cottages). The budget package does not include transfers to/from Medan. Guests who prefer a better room type but do not require transfers can book any of the above packages without transportation.
Unfortunately this is not possible. We run our tours on fixed days, arrival/departure at EcoTravel Cottages is on Mondays/Fridays only, suiting our packages. Some packages also start on Saturdays. But you could add, skip or change some tours in your chosen package frame, if required. It is also possible to extend your stay at our partners on Lake Toba, in Medan or on Pulau Weh – subject to availability. And if all this still doesn’t suit you, why not join our tours only and book your accommodation individually somewhere else?
We recommend not to arrive any later than 18:00 pm in Bukit Lawang! There is also a meeting with your guide team at our EcoTravel Cottages between 16:00 pm – 19:00 pm, where you will be given essential information and an introduction to your trek starting the next morning. But if a pickup service with our EcoTravel team from Medan airport to the jungle is required in the late afternoon we are also pleased to organize this for you. Please just remember that from Medan Airport, the transfer to Bukit Lawang takes about 4,5 hrs, so the later you arrive the later you will get to Bukit Lawang. And if your jungle trek starts the next day you will have to get up early …
Optional: Combine your jungle experience with 3 days at Lake Toba
- DAY 05: Air-con transfer (car or minibus) from Bukit Lawang to Lake Toba (1-day tour / 8 hours / on Fridays only!): Along the way you stop at several places in the Karo Highlands: the famous fruit market in Berastagi, a traditional Batak Karo village and the Sipiso-Piso waterfall: includes driver, petrol, all entrance fees on the way, take-away snacks & drinks, boat tickets (one way!) from Parapat harbour to Samosir Island. Starts at 07:00 am. Check in to your hotel on Samosir Island: Tabo Cottages, Junior Suite, bathroom with western toilet and hot water shower, fan, balcony with garden/lake view, breakfast
- DAY 06: “Culinary Tour” (1/2-day tour): This tour will give you impressions of the unspoilt part of this island with great views over Lake Toba. In a small village you will join the locals and prepare your lunch the traditional way on an open fire after harvesting spices and tapioca leaves right from the garden: includes guide, car, lunch, donation to the villagers. Starts at 10:00 am. Stay one more night on Samosir Island: Tabo Cottages, Junior Suite, bathroom with western toilet and hot water shower, fan, balcony with lake view, breakfast
- Day 07: Spend your day winding down on Samosir Island swimming, relaxing and just enjoying the beautiful scenery or why not try and explore again the island? Don’t miss a traditional Batak dance at the cultural center in Simanindo and the hisoric Batak king’s residence at Ambarita. Our partner Tabo Cottages will love to organize tours around the Lake Toba, if required. You can also rent a motorbike and travel around by yourself. Stay one more night on Samosir Island: Tabo Cottages, Junior Suite, bathroom with western toilet and hot water shower, fan, balcony with lake view, breakfast
- DAY 08: Air-con transfer from Parapat harbour to your hotel in Medan (4 hours) or to Kuala Namu Airport (4 hours): including driver, petrol & highway toll
|Price per person / min 2 pax|
|Superior Option||170 Euro|
|Deluxe Option||192 Euro|
|Standard Option||162 Euro|
|Budget Option||139 Euro|