Our Eco Tourism policy
Eco tourism provides a big potential to take responsibility for the preservation of wildlife and plants as well as a sustainable livelihood for local communities around protected areas. Having said that, the impact of tourism must always be controlled in order to remain within sensible limits.
- EcoTravel Bukit Lawang is a specialist for individual travel in Gunung Leuser National Park, North Sumatra.
- EcoTravel Bukit Lawang has committed itself, environmentally and socially, to ecological and responsible outdoor adventures.
- EcoTravel’s Bukit Lawang’s main focus is on protecting the orangutans in Gunung Leuser National Park not only by offering standard treks to our red-haired cousins, but also showing the guests the natural beauty of the orangutans and the cultural diversity of the region.
- EcoTravel Bukit Lawang manages the number of visitors in order to preserve the well-being of the habitat in Gunung Leuser National Park and the specific way of life in the villages around.
- EcoTravel Bukit Lawang developed its first village fund in Mai 2011 in order to benefit the whole community and also to help with future community investments.
- EcoTravel Bukit Lawang has been a member of “The International Ecotourism Society” (TIES) since January 2012.
- EcoTravel Bukit Lawang started its first waste collection in the Gunung Leuser National Park in July 2012. Up to now we have invested a lot into a clean jungle and into the safety of our guests. For each booking of a jungle trek we donate 1 Euro to our “Keep The Jungle Clean” project (founded by Kembar in 2014).
- EcoTravel Bukit Lawang is supporting the self-sustained Eco tourism destination Tangkahan and CRU by offering tours to the elephant place at the village.
- EcoTravel Bukit Lawang believes in responsible tourism, gives special guidance and information about the rainforest to their guests and supports the Sumatran Orangutan Society (SOS).
- EcoTravel Bukit Lawang is supporting the Ecolodge Bukit Lawang by offering accommodation for its guests. As a non-profit organisation all revenues realised by the Ecolodge are put straight back into community development, social programmes and nature conservation.
- EcoTravel Buit Lawang has made it its goal to protect the area at the Ranto Panjang Landak River and balance the conflicts between farmers and wildlife by re-planting the bufferzone with native trees in cooperation with our local partner Nature For Change.
- EcoTravel Bukit Lawang cooperates in a spirit of partnership with local companies, offices and villagers in the region around the Gunung Leuser National Park in North Sumatra.
- EcoTravel Bukit Lawang also creates an income for local people in return for food, guiding, accommodation, transport and activities.
- EcoTravel Bukit Lawang follows ecological guidelines by managing different types of waste and avoiding plastic at its accommodation EcoTravel Cottages. Most of the offered food is sourced locally. Drinking water is available for free to all guests during their stay.
- EcoTravel Bukit Lawang gives guides a regular job even if they get older and lack the fitness for regular guiding – having introduced a rota of guiding and supervising. All staff are from nearby villages and work on a steady basis with reliable working times and regular days off.