Orangutans & Elephants (5-Day Tour)
Enjoy this memorable Sumatra EcoTravel 5-day tour, combining the adventure of an overnight trek in the Gunung Leuser National Park around Bukit Lawang with a visit to the famous Sumatran elephants in Tangkahan – a truly unforgettable experience! You also have the chance to see Lake Toba, the world’s largest crater lake, with its unique Batak culture. On Samosir Island a discovery tour will take you to unspoilt areas with many indigenous plants where you can also learn more about traditional coffee growing techniques.
- DAY 01: Air-con transfer (car or minibus) from your Medan hotel (3 hours) or from Kuala Namu Airport (5 hours) to Bukit Lawang: including driver, petrol & porter service for your luggage. Check in to your hotel in Bukit Lawang: EcoTravel Cottages, Jungle View Room, bathroom with western toilet and hot water shower, fan, balcony with jungle/river view, breakfast
- DAY 02/03: “Orangutan Trek” (2-day tour): 2-day trek in the Gunung Leuser National Park, 1 night on a campsite in the jungle, stop at the old orangutan feeding platform area & traditional tube rafting down the Bohorok River back to Bukit Lawang after trekking: includes English speaking guides, porter, rafting skipper, cook, all food and drinking water while trekking, all equipment (tent, mattress, sleeping bag, mosquito net, tubes, safety jackets), luggage storage. Starts at 08:30 am. After trekking stay another night in Bukit Lawang: EcoTravel Cottages, Jungle View Room, bathroom with western toilet and hot water shower, fan, balcony with jungle/river view, breakfast
- DAY 04: “Tangkahan Adventure” (1-day tour): Memorable tour by air-con car (2,5 hours / one way / off-road) to the hidden jungle village of Tangkahan, famous for its Sumatran elephants: includes English speaking guide, driver, petrol, all permits, voucher for washing elephants up to 1 hour in the Buluh River operated by CRU/LPT Tangkahan, lunch and soft drink, Mahout (CRU/LPT). Starts at 09:00 am. Stay another night in Bukit Lawang: EcoTravel Cottages, Jungle View Room, bathroom with western toilet and hot water shower, fan, balcony with jungle/river view, breakfast
- DAY 05: Air-con transfer (car or minibus) from Bukit Lawang back to Medan hotel (3 hours) or Kuala Namu Airport (5 hours / international flight departure not before 14:30 pm!): including porter service for your luggage, driver & petrol
|Price per person / min 2 pax|
|Standard Option||258 Euro|
|Deluxe Option||272 Euro|
|Budget Option||196 Euro|
Only the standard package is listed in detail on our website. The higher price of the deluxe option results from a better room type (Jungle View Suite / EcoTravel Cottages) at Bukit Lawang and Lake Toba (Toba Suite / Tabo Cottages). The budget option includes the least expensive room type in the jungle and on Lake Toba (Batak Room, EcoTravel Cottages / Deluxe Room, Tabo Cottage). The budget package does not include transfers to/from Medan.
Unfortunately this is not possible. We run our tours on fixed days, arrival/departure at EcoTravel Cottages is on Mondays/Fridays only, suiting our packages. Some packages also start on Saturdays. But you could add, skip or change some tours in your chosen package frame, if required. It is also possible to extend your stay at our partners on Lake Toba, in Medan or on Pulau Weh – subject to availability. And if all this still doesn’t suit you, why not join our tours only and book your accommodation individually somewhere else?
Please make sure not to arrive in Bukit Lawang any later than 19:00 pm! There is also a meeting with your guide team at our EcoTravel Cottages/Office between 16:00 pm – 19:00 pm, where you will be given essential information and an introduction to your trek starting the next morning. From Medan Airport, there are 4.5 hours of transfer to Bukit Lawang, so please make absolutely sure that your flight arrives before 14:30 pm. Later arrivals won’t be able to join our tours the following day.
Optional: Combine Your Jungle Experience With A Green Stay At Lake Toba
- DAY 05: Overland transfer (air-con car or minibus) from Bukit Lawang to Lake Toba (1-day tour / 9 hours / on Fridays only!): Along the way you stop at several places in the Karo Highlands: the famous fruit market in Berastagi, a traditional Batak Karo village and the Sipiso-Piso waterfall: includes driver, petrol, all entrance fees on the way, take-away snacks & drinks, boat tickets (one way!) from Parapat harbour to Samosir Island. Starts at 07:00 am. Check in to your hotel on Samosir Island: Tabo Cottages, Junior Suite, bathroom with western toilet and hot water shower, fan, balcony with garden/lake view, breakfast
- DAY 06: “Toba Discovery Tour” (1/2-day tour): This off road adventure will give you a memorable experience of the unspoilt part of this island along with great highland views over Lake Toba. You will discover the simple local lifestyle in a traditional Toba Batak village. And you will return with impressions of unique Batak architecture, coffee growing techniques and vistas of indigenous plants: includes English speaking guide, driver, car, lunch picnic. Starts at 10:00 am. Stay another night on Samosir Island: Tabo Cottages, Junior Suite, bathroom with western toilet and hot water shower, fan, balcony with garden/lake view, breakfast
- DAY 07: Spend your day winding down on Samosir Island swimming, relaxing and just enjoying the beautiful scenery or why not try and explore again the island? Don’t miss a traditional Batak dance at the cultural center in Simanindo and the hisoric Batak king’s residence at Ambarita. Our partner Tabo Cottages will love to organize tours around the Lake Toba, if required. You can also rent a motorbike and travel around by yourself. Stay another night on Samosir Island: Tabo Cottages, Junior Suite, bathroom with western toilet and hot water shower, fan, balcony with garden/lake view, breakfast
- DAY 08: Pickup at Parapat harbour and transport by air-con taxi back to your hotel in Medan or to Kuala Namu Airport (5 hours / flight departure not before 16:00 pm!): including driver & petrol
|Price per person / min 2 pax|
|Standard Option||164 Euro|
|Deluxe Option||178 Euro|
|Budget Option||128 Euro|