Jungle Fun & Local Life (5-Day Tour)
Support the ecosystem in Gunung Leuser National Park, help its wildlife and local people while enjoying your holiday! This unique EcoTravel tour is a real innovation combining some of the most spectacular spots in Northern Sumatra with direct support for the environment. You will do some jungle trekking, meet orangutans and explore local life. You also have the chance to see Lake Toba, the world’s largest crater lake. Your visits to traditional villages en route will be a direct contribution to the income of the locals.
- DAY 01: Air-con transfer (car or minibus) from your Medan hotel (3 hours) or from Kuala Namu Airport (5 hours) to Bukit Lawang: including driver, petrol & porter service for your luggage. Check in to your hotel in Bukit Lawang: EcoTravel Cottages, Jungle View Room, bathroom with western toilet and hot water shower, fan, balcony with jungle/river view, breakfast
- DAY 02: “Welcome To The Jungle” (1-day tour): Jungle trekking in the Gunung Leuser National Park, stop at the old orangutan feeding platform area & traditional tube rafting down the Bohorok River back to Bukit Lawang after trekking: includes English speaking guides, porter, rafting skipper, lunch picnic, fruits, drinking water, tubes, safety jackets. Starts at 8:30 am. After trekking stay another night in Bukit Lawang: EcoTravel Cottages, Jungle View Room, bathroom with western toilet and hot water shower, fan, balcony with jungle/river view, breakfast
- DAY 03: “Explore Local Life” (1/2-day tour): Unique tour by mountain bike (or by traditional becak) along rice fields, rubber plantations and through the villages surrounding Bukit Lawang to Kampung Bukit where you stop at traditional sugar, tofu and bamboo/palm leaves weaving “factories”. Then you will travel on to Simpang Mursal Timbangjaya having a typical local lunch with the villagers: includes English speaking guide, mountain bike & equipment (or becak, driver & petrol), lunch, drinking water, donation to the villagers. Starts at 09:00 am. Stay another night in Bukit Lawang: EcoTravel Cottages, Jungle View Room, bathroom, fan, balcony with jungle/river view, breakfast
- DAY 04: We know how strenuous active travel can be! So we give our guests one day to recover: relax in your hammock, enjoy panoramic views of the rainforest from your balcony and watch stunning wildlife from the sun patio of EcoTravel Cottages. Take a refreshing bath in the Bohorok River or explore the village on your own. But if required our team will be more than happy to organize an additional day trip around Bukit Lawang – e.g. a walk to the famous Bat Cave or an unforgettable visit to the Sumatran elephants in Tangkahan. Stay another night in Bukit Lawang. EcoTravel Cottages, Jungle View Room, bathroom with western toilet and hot water shower, fan, balcony with jungle/river view, breakfast
- DAY 05: Air-con transfer (car or minibus) from Bukit Lawang back to Medan hotel (3 hours) or Kuala Namu Airport (5 hours / international flight departure not before 14:30 pm!): including porter service for your luggage, driver & petrol
|Price per person / min 2 pax.|
|Standard Option||202 Euro|
|Deluxe Deluxe||222 Euro|
|Budget Option||136 Euro|
Only the standard package is listed in detail on our website. The higher price of the deluxe option results from a better room type (Jungle View Suite / EcoTravel Cottages) at Bukit Lawang and Lake Toba (Toba Suite / Tabo Cottages). The budget option includes the least expensive room type in the jungle and on Lake Toba (Batak Room, EcoTravel Cottages / Deluxe Room, Tabo Cottage). The budget package does not include transfers to/from Medan.
Unfortunately this is not possible. We run our tours on fixed days, arrival/departure at EcoTravel Cottages is on Mondays/Fridays only, suiting our packages. Some packages also start on Saturdays. But you could add, skip or change some tours in your chosen package frame, if required. It is also possible to extend your stay at our partners on Lake Toba, in Medan or on Pulau Weh – subject to availability. And if all this still doesn’t suit you, why not join our tours only and book your accommodation individually somewhere else?
Please make sure not to arrive in Bukit Lawang any later than 19:00 pm! There is also a meeting with your guide team at our EcoTravel Cottages/Office between 16:00 pm – 19:00 pm, where you will be given essential information and an introduction to your trek starting the next morning. From Medan Airport, there are 4.5 hours of transfer to Bukit Lawang, so please make absolutely sure that your flight arrives before 14:30 pm. Later arrivals won’t be able to join our tours the following day.
Optional: Combine your jungle experience with a green stay at lake Toba
- DAY 05: Overland transfer (air-con car or minibus) from Bukit Lawang to Lake Toba (1-day tour / 9 hours / on Fridays only!): Along the way you stop at several places in the Karo Highlands: the famous fruit market in Berastagi, a traditional Batak Karo village and the Sipiso-Piso waterfall: includes driver, petrol, all entrance fees on the way, take-away snacks & drinks, boat tickets (one way!) from Parapat harbour to Samosir Island. Starts at 07:00 am. Check in to your hotel on Samosir Island: Tabo Cottages, Junior Suite, bathroom with western toilet and hot water shower, fan, balcony with garden/lake view, breakfast
- DAY 06:“Culinary Tour” (1/2-day tour): This tour will give you impressions of the unspoilt part of this island with great views over Lake Toba. In a small village you will join the locals and prepare your dinner the traditional way on an open fire after harvesting spices and tapioca leaves right from the garden: includes guide, car, lunch, donation to the villagers. Starts at 10:00 am. Stay one more night on Samosir Island: Tabo Cottages, Junior Suite, bathroom with western toilet and hot water shower, fan, balcony with garden/lake view, breakfast
- Day 07: Spend your day winding down on Samosir Island swimming, relaxing and just enjoying the beautiful scenery or why not try and explore again the island? Don’t miss a traditional Batak dance at the cultural center in Simanindo and the hisoric Batak king’s residence at Ambarita. Our partner Tabo Cottages will love to organize tours around the Lake Toba, if required. You can also rent a motorbike and travel around by yourself. Stay one more night on Samosir Island: Tabo Cottages, Junior Suite, bathroom with western toilet and hot water shower, fan, balcony with garden/lake view, breakfast
- DAY 08: Air-con transfer from Parapat harbour to your hotel in Medan (5 hours) or to Kuala Namu Airport (5 hours / flight departure not before 16:00 pm!): including driver & petrol
|Price per person / min 2 pax|
|Standard Option||164 Euro|
|Deluxe Option||178 Euro|
|Budget Option||128 Euro|